2023 Content Advisories
Shotgun Players is equally committed to presenting challenging work and taking care of our patrons.
Content advisories are a tool to help our patrons choose how they want to engage with each play. While we have tried to cover the most common sensitivities, the lists below are not exhaustive. Some listed advisories are only briefly mentioned in the plays, whereas others are major themes of the work.
If you have any questions about these content advisories, we encourage you to call or email the box office, and we’re happy to provide more context. (510.841.6500, ext. 303 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
- A woman uses cross-dressing as a means for romantic deceit.
- An absurd and satirical representation of suicide by hanging.
Yerma is the story of a woman whose desire for motherhood becomes an all consuming obsession that sets her against her husband, her neighbors, and the expectations of her community with tragic results. Content advisories include:
- Stylized depiction of sexual intercourse, infidelity
Realistic and stylized depiction of strangulation and matricide
References to misogyny, the oppression of women and femmes
Depictions of depression.
Wolf Play centers the story of a adoptee in a play that incorporates humor, puppetry, and sharply written dialogue in this tale of people grappling with questions of identity, trust, and parenthood. Content advisories include:
- A balloon is popped early in the first scene
- References to transracial adoption, extralegal adoption, and the foster care system
- References to and depictions of homophobia
- Depictions of physical violence (including a boxing match)
- The misgendering of a trans or gender non-conforming person
Hedwig and the Angry Inch tells the story of a fourth-wall-smashing East German rock ‘n’ roll goddess in the form of a rock gig/stand-up comedy routine backed by a hard-rocking band. Content advisories include:
- References to sexual assault, gender dysphoria, and transphobia, the Holocaust, anti-semitism, and anti-Israeli sentiment.
- Depictions of substance use and abuse, child abuse, and intimate partner abuse.
Babes in Ho-lland is the story of two Black co-eds attending a primarily white college who connect over a shared love for music but quickly discover something deeper. Content advisories include:
- Realistic depictions of racism, sexual harassment, and homophobia
- References to and depictions of seasonal affective disorder, depression, and mental illness
- References to poverty and financial inequality
Thirty-Six is the tale of a modern romance between Tinder matches Jenny and David and a set of thirty-six questions that are supposed to lead to love. Content advisories include:
- Stylized depiction of sexual assault
- Stigmatization of sexually transmitted infection diagnosis.
THE ANTELOPE PARTY
Antelope Party is a comedy that explores the rise of a new social order and how the currents of history, normalization, and fear can sweep up even the most generous friends. Content advisories include:
- References to physical violence, misogyny, racism and homophobia.
- Depictions of kidnapping and physical restraint, threatening and menacing behavior
- Stage blood effects
(TRANS)FORMADA is the story of a queer Mexican American living in Texas and navigating their gender expression at a high school party. Content advisories include:
- References to and depictions of gender dysphoria, homophobia, and transphobia.
- Depictions of homophobia and transphobia within a Latiné family.