Shotgun Players is a company of artists determined to create bold, relevant, affordable theatre that inspires and challenges audiences and artists alike to re-examine our lives, our community, and the ever-changing world around us. We are committed to a welcoming and inclusive work culture and audience experience where everyone who walks through our doors feels a deep sense of belonging. We center our values in all that we do and hold ourselves accountable with rigorous, comprehensive, and regular reviews of policies, procedures, and staff. Getting it “right” is not a box we can check. It’s a daily practice and we are all here for that journey!
- Status: 20 Hours/week, non-exempt employee
- Pay Rate: $20/hour
- Reports to: General Manager, Artistic Director
- Start Date: Monday, November 1, 2021
What We Need
We believe assembling a great team to tell the story is equally as important as selecting a great story. Shotgun Players has achieved national recognition and thrived for nearly 30 years because we’ve been able to attract some of the most talented, thoughtful, and courageous collaborators in the Bay Area. We’re looking for someone who can help us create great theater behind the scenes, make sure all the trains are running on time, and serve as the lead for our pre-production and load-in and tech processes.
The Production Manager works collaboratively with the General Manager, Artistic Director, Associate AD, and other staff to ensure that each artist and technician has what they need and is able to complete their piece of the puzzle. The PM is mindful about caring for both the physical and interpersonal space where theater is made. They facilitate clear communication, problem-solving, and strategic thinking, both within their own job and among the teams they supervise.
- Supervision of designers and production staff (TD, ME, overhire, etc) throughout the process
- Create documentation for each production: contact sheet, production calendar, load-in/tech schedule
- Schedule and run production meetings
- Direct supervision of load-in and tech, maintain communication within the team, and solve problems as needed, and run tech notes
- Manage catering (tech week bagels, cast/crew dinners, etc.)
- Assist Marketing Director with:
- managing technical needs for photo/video shoots
- collection of bios and director’s notes
- Payroll and Check Requests
- Management of correct hourly timesheet reporting between SM and Accounting Department
- Processing requests from designers for materials advances
- Cleaning, Maintenance, and Re-Stocking Stage Management and First Aid Supplies (Interim and Long-Term)
- Rehearsal space before each rehearsal process starts
- Theater before each load-in
- Arranging repairs to theatrical equipment as needed
- Maintaining Stock Inventories
- Rentals / Special Events:
- Orienting guests to Shotgun spaces
- Coordinating tech needs, scheduling tech and rehearsal time as needed
In collaboration with General Manager, the Production Manager will also work on:
- Input and update events into Google calendar (production schedule and other Shotgun events as needed)
- Rentals / Special Events:
- Hiring house technicians
- Coordinating with technicians at outside spaces for offsite events
- Generate and process all artist contracts
- Maintaining production budgets throughout the year through direct oversight of designers and technicians
How to Apply
Please complete this form: https://forms.gle/exwJ5v7fKQ7aW6Ao8
This includes uploading a cover letter and your resume, and submitting references with contact info. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact: email@example.com, with “Production Manager” in the subject line.
2021 Designers and Techs
Shotgun Players is seeking designers and technicians for our 2021/22 In-Person Season in Berkeley, CA! Please join us in coming back better than ever! We’re looking for set, props, costumes, sound, video, and lighting designers, stage managers, ASMs, and sound board operators.
Please submit your resume and 2 references online by May 28 to be considered for the full season. Further applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Contact Director of Production Hanah Zahner-Isenberg with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BIPOC artists and artists of other underrepresented identities are encouraged to apply. In line with our commitment to “shift the center,” our goal is to hire over 50% Black, Indigenous, and People of Color in our seasonal hires of artistic, technical, stage management, as well as permanent administrative teams until BIPOC workers’ representation at our organization matches their percentage in the local labor force (Alameda County.)
It’s still in flux, but here’s a basic idea: Our “Bridge Series” will consist of minimally-produced shows from Sept 2021 - January 2022. Our mainstage shows will be produced Jan 2022 - Jan 2023. Check out our season announcement for show titles/descriptions.
Berkeley minimum wage hourly ($16.32/hr starting July 2021). Total contract varies with the size of commitment.
Our hiring process
Candidates will be asked to submit a resume, 2 references, known schedule conflicts, and which productions speak to you. You will be interviewed by members of Shotgun staff (Director of Production, Artistic Director, and/or Associate Artistic Director.) If you are a likely candidate for a particular production, you will then be interviewed by the Director and/or Stage Manager of that project. We prioritize artists who are local to the SF Bay Area.
Shotgun Players is an equal opportunity employer.Employment opportunities at Shotgun Players are based upon one's qualifications and capabilities to perform the essential functions of a particular job. All employment opportunities are provided without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, military status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, ancestry, medical condition, marital status, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.